How to Roast Vegetables for the Week

Recently I got back into my winter routine of roasting up a big batch of hearty veggies on the weekend, ready to use in meals throughout the week. Writing a food blog means that at least once a week I’m cooking something new and interesting, but most of the time, especially with a baby in the house, getting a meal on the table is just part of the daily routine, and strategies like this help make life a little easier.

Roasting a bunch of vegetables at once means that you have a map of the week’s meals already done, the crisper draw no longer harbours rubbery carrots, and you’re banking your daily vegetable quota ahead of time. Here’s how I prepare and roast my veg, then, I thought it might be cool to share what I’ve done with the veggies throughout the week. Head over to like Simple Provisions on Facebook to follow along over the coming days.

How to Roast Vegetables for the Week

There’s nothing winter vegetables like more than some oil, a bit of seasoning and a hot oven. The vegetables soften, sweeten and develop rich, earthy flavours. Turning grubby, gnarly root vegetables into delicate, caramelised morsels of goodness is extremely satisfying. Doing this on masse, rotating brightly coloured trays of produce through your oven, is even more gratifying. It takes a few hours all up, but you’ll be set up for the week. And most of that time is just waiting for the vegetables to cook, enabling you to sit near a warm oven, perhaps with a glass of wine, maybe reading a book, hopefully both.

Once everything is cleaned, chopped, seasoned and in the oven, throw the peels, off-cuts and remnants into a big pot of water with a bay leaf and some peppercorns to make vegetable stock. This can be used later in the week to make soup with the odds and sods of roasted vegetables that are left over.

When I have a fridge full of vegetables, I tend to use store cupboard ingredients to round out the dish, making the vegetables the star. Herbs, spices, cheese, grains and pasta come in handy, as do brighteners like vinegar, lemon and capers. This means less shopping during the week, another bonus.

So this is the start of my week. Over the coming days I’ll post on Facebook to show you how I’ve turned the trays of gorgeous roasted vegetables into meals for two. I won’t be telling you how I used the parsnips, because my husband ate them all while they were cooling on the bench. And there was definitely more cauliflower than what made it into the fridge, but that was my fault. A bench full of hot, fresh-out-of-the-oven, well-seasoned veggies are hard to resist. And best of all, they keep for about four days in the fridge, so they’re ready to tempt and inspire all throughout the week.

How to Roast Vegetables for the Week

How to Roast Vegetables for the Week

What I roasted:

• 1 butternut squash, cut into rough cubes
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 large fennel bulb, quartered and cored and cut into chunks
  • 1 parsnip, quartered and cut in thirds
  • 2 carrots, quartered and cut in thirds
  • 1 large beetroot, wrapped in foil
  • 2 sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
  • 1 red onion, cut into 1/8ths

How I roasted:

I tossed each tray of veggies in olive oil and salt and pepper and set the oven to 200c/425F. When splitting vegetables up onto trays, I try to keep things that are the same size or that will take similar amounts of time to cook together (things that grow in a similar way usually fit together).

My oven isn’t large enough to fit all the trays in at once so I started with the squash, cauliflower and fennel and onion. It took around 30-40 minutes for them to cook, some coming out of the oven sooner (cauliflower) than others (squash). When one tray came out another went in.The carrot and parsnip tray and sweet potatoes also took around 30-40 minutes, the beetroot took closer to an hour.

With all of them, I just kept an eye on them during the cooking time, and when I tested a piece and it was so good I went in for another, they were ready.

Storing:

Once all the vegetables had cooled, I placed them in bowls, covered them with cling wrap and placed them in the fridge. They can stay there for 4 days, ready to be used in a range of meals during the week.

Like Simple Provisions on Facebook to follow along and see how I use the vegetables over the coming days.

44 thoughts on “How to Roast Vegetables for the Week

1. That’s a genius idea. I can imagine how the kitchen must smell while the veggies were roasting!

Yes Anjana! A delivery person came to my door while I was cooking and they asked to come in for lunch!

2. ksfinblog says:

good idea …………. how long do they usually last……

About 4 days, though I have been known to keep them longer, the stragglers get blitzed into a soup.

1. ksfinblog says:

thank you…..

3. I do this as well, it makes weekday life do much easier when there are half prepared meals in the fridge. I usually include capsicum whenever possible as I love how sweet it becomes once roasted.

Nice one. I have an unexplainable aversion to capsicum. It may be because I worked in a pizza shop and had to chop a truckload of them in my teens? Perhaps roasting them would solve my problem. I’ll endeavour to try out the theory, because sweetness does sound good!

4. Alice says:

yum, cauliflower is beautiful roasted with a sprinkling of turmeric, salt and olive oil too!

Roasted cauli is my fave, but I haven’t tried it with turmeric. Now I will! Thanks Alice. Hope you and yours are all well x

5. I love this thank you. I have most of these in the veggie garden and now the cold weather is here we hanker for the comforts of nourishing veggies. I sometimes splash a bit of balsamic on the fennel or carrots which is yummy. I dug up all our spuds recently and I love the earthy smell of the dirt in the bags (even though my laundry looks less than clean now ) ah who cares! I’m looking fwd to Facebook updates. 😉

I have veggie garden envy! Yours sounds fabulous. I haven’t tried balsamic on fennel before, will give it a roll, thanks!

1. Thanks Amelia it’s mostly mud and weeds at the moment. If I could work out a tasty recipe for those weeds we would be more than self-sufficient ;))

6. Helen dodds says:

Love my veggies cooked this way. Add some rosemary to the oil. Yum!

Yes Helen! Yum.

7. Keryn says:

Sounds lovely!
    Silly question but in what ways so you used them later in the week? How to reheat them so they are just as delicious as when they first came out of the oven?

Not silly! I’ll be posting how I use them on Facebook over the next few days. Eaten by themselves, they’re not as delicious. But warming them in a pan with a bit of oil, then combining with something else warm like pasta, rice, or stock for soup brings out the flavour still.

8. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

9. Shruti says:

Great idea for vegetarians!!! 🙂

10. Melissa says:

Great idea! I’m heading over to your Facebook now (I don’t want to miss any updates!)

Thanks Melissa, I’m glad you’re so interested 🙂

11. Flynn says:

This is great Amelia! I’m definitely going to follow on Facebook this week. I’ve been struggling with time these last few weeks so this is going to make everything a little easier 🙂 Cuddles for Nell. xox

Good one Flynn! I’ve found it really helps with witching hour management! Love to you and your little fam x

12. neonsugarc says:

This is a wonderful idea to get enough veges during the colder months! Looks wonderful!

13. maggigonza says:

Muy útil e interesante.
    Saludos!

14. erika says:

Ahhhh!! This is the only post to make me sad that summer is coming in this hemisphere so I really shouldn’t be using my oven for the next few months. But I am drooling over these roasted delicacies!!

Something to look forward to for a whole 6 months Erika! 😉

Funnily enough, I’m working on a similar post about cooking ahead and the meals that result from it! It’s spring veggie season here, though, and I’m steadily steaming and sauteeing my way around. I look forward to seeing what you create!

Great minds Ann! I haven’t done this approach in Spring, so I look forward to reading your post.

16. Christina says:

I live by roasted vegetables! They are so versatile and scrumptious – great advice.
    Christina

17. Reblogged this on FabiFabu and commented:
    Great and easy. Less to do in almost a week, and you`ll have something ready to eat. Love the idea from Simple Provisions!!.

18. skd says:

Nice idea !!!

19. Lisa says:

Amelia, this post reminded me of a soup I used to make a few winters ago. I’d forgotten about it – so thanks for reminding me! http://www.ladylunchalot.com/roast-cauliflower-and-leek-soup/

Yum, sounds delicious Lisa. Would taste even better on the farm I reckon!

20. I just found your blog! so excited to add this to my list! I love these, and it’s a great idea to do it ahead of time.

LOVELY series Amelia. Seriously coveting your blue-rimmed enamelware too.