Fried Halloumi with Mint Gremolata

Uprooting oneself and moving to the other side of the world is a delicate business. Like repotting a plant, it’s relatively easy to pull up a life by its stem and place it elsewhere. But it takes time, attention, the right conditions and a welcoming environment for a life to thrive in its new location.

I’ve spent the last three months finding a good pot to plant myself in back home in Australia. The desire I felt in NYC to slow down and focus on the things that make me happy has lead me to something new: a country life.

Last week I moved to Kyneton, a small town nestled in the Macedon Ranges, about an hour from Melbourne. 6,629 other people live here, which is around 8.2 million less than New York City. I have traded in my Brooklyn apartment for a large weatherboard home with a garden that boasts an apple and pear tree, and my new oven is roughly the same size as my Williamsburg kitchen (only a slight exaggeration). Life is definitely slower. And so far, I’m loving it.

All this decision-making and moving is hunger making work. And as Spring unfurled its petals here in Australia I found myself craving comfort food, but on the lighter side. Well, lighter if you call adding some mint and lemon to a lovely, fried hunk of cheese “light”.

Fried Halloumi with Mint Gremolata

Halloumi is a cheese from Cyprus that has a high melting point, which means it can be grilled or fried and still hold its shape. It is packed in brine which provides a deliciously salty flavour and its firm texture is most satisfying to bite into (it kind of squeaks in your mouth). Frying it is super simple, you just need a pan and some oil. You can coat the halloumi in seasoned flour to make it crispier when fried, which is a fine thing to do if you can be bothered (I usually can’t).

Fried halloumi is a great alternative to grilled meat for vegetarians at your BBQ. It can also provide some heartiness to salads, turning them into a main meal.

I paired the halloumi with a vibrant topping of mint, lemon and garlic. This bright addition complements the smooth, mild flavour of the cheese and when served alongside some crusty bread and leafy greens, it makes a perfect lunch. It could also be served as a starter.

Many supermarkets in Australia now stock halloumi, thanks to our large Greek population. In the U.S you can pick some up at Wholefoods, try your local cheesemonger or substitute the Latin American version,Β queso para freir.

Fried Halloumi with Mint Gremolata

Fried Halloumi with Mint Gremolata

Serves 4, takes 20 minutes max

• 200g (7 oz) halloumi
  • 1/2 cup mint (loosely packed)
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 – 1 clove garlic (depending on your taste for raw garlic)
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Olive oil

Prepare the gremolata by finely chopping the mint, lemon zest and garlic together. Set aside.

Unpack the halloumi and pat it dry with paper towel (this will help it brown nicely). Cut the halloumi into four rectangles by cutting the large rectangle into two smaller ones, then slicing them so they’re half as thick.

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and place the four slices in the pan. Fry until the cheese forms a lovely golden colour then turn the slices over and do the same on the other side. This should only take 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.

Serve immediately by sprinkling the fried cheese with the gremolata, squeezing lemon juice over the lot and finishing off with a generous glug of olive oil. Serve with crusty bread and a simple green salad.

30 thoughts on “Fried Halloumi with Mint Gremolata

1. Em says:

Delicious! Welcome home, how exciting – a country adventure! Love Em x

I may need some tips on country living Em!

2. Amy says:

I love haloumi! Perfect for an Aussie summer barbecue, and being the only vegetarian at our family gatherings, this recipe will certainly come in handy. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your new home. I love Victoria, even though I live in Queensland at the moment, and the Macedon Ranges are simply stunning.

3. Wow, what a change from eating in NYC to little old piper street, kyneton. Love the post too!!

4. I’m so glad you’re back, and so glad that you are reaping the benefits of listening to what your body/spirit needed. (the country life AND halloumi) (:

Thanks Valerie! I always listen when my body/spirit asks for cheese πŸ˜‰

5. Nice to hear you landed somewhere that sounds like a dream come true. Love to see pics if you’re even inclined. So exotic — and of course, how wonderful to imagine spring as we head in to winter!
    This is one of my favorite cheese indulgences — like bread and sugar, harder for my aging body to take but sure great on the palate. The topping looks gorgeous.

I will definitely share some pics of Kyneton soon Tricia. Australians would consider it the *least* exotic locale, but I’m loving it all the same!

6. An adventure… that’s great. I’m sure you’re going to be more than happy with your decision. As for the recipe it sounds yummy. I’ve never been a fan of mint though, do you think I could use something else in it’s place?

Gremolata is traditionally made with parsley, so that would work. But I like Jane’s idea of basil better.

7. This sounds simple + lovely. Can’t wait to have a cheese night!

Welcome home! I sympathize with the transcontinental relocation. But halloumi and mint sounds like an excellent way to celebrate the Australian summer — and in case you’re feeling homesick for New York, I’ll tell you it’s 40ΒΊF on the East Coast today.

Thanks Ann! That helps, thanks πŸ˜‰

9. This looks delicious. I’ve never tried Halloumi, but I love cheese in pretty much every variety. Great post. I’m going to have to try this.

10. @Emily, I make something similar with basil, which I reckon works just as well as mint.

11. Alison says:

Another version to try: grill on the bbq using a rosemary sprig as a skewer and alternate the Halloumi with thin baguette slices that have been brushed with olive oil. Add a crisp white wine and you’ve got a quick, easy and delicious appetizer!

That sounds delicious Alison!

12. rhian @melbs says:

looks yum am going to try it.

13. Aoife.D says:

This looks so simple and so beautiful and I would imagine it is oh so tasty.

14. Barbara Shipway says:

Hi Amelia, I am Brett Collinson’s Aunty. Welcome back to Oz, hope you are flourishing in your new pot. Janet tells me your news. I will definitely have your hallumi dish on the table Christmas Day, sounds delicious!
    Barbara

Hi Barbara! So lovely to see you here, thanks so much for stopping by. The halloumi will be a winner Christmas day – no fuss! Say hi to Janet for me πŸ™‚

15. mollisia says:

It looks fabulous! and these colours! it’s perfect for shering with members of a family πŸ™‚ yummy! πŸ™‚

16. ivy says:

i just made this, so yummy, i could eat it all day!

Me too! Glad you liked it, thanks for telling me.

17. M-R says:

My husband (he was a brilliant, totally self-taught cook), loved gremolata. One of his favourite ways to use it was on top of his to-die-for osso buco. But the thought of it on haloumi ! – just marvelous, Amelia ! Thanks for the inspiration !

You’re welcome M-R. I keep a slab of haloumi in the fridge for quick lunches, great with a salad. But gremolata atop osso buco sounds even better!

1. M-R says:

Give it a try: if you don’t like it I’ll throw a garden party. πŸ™‚