Australian damper

I’ve been cooking either on a campfire or a little camping stove for the last two weeks, while I’ve been marvelling at the beauty of Oregon, and loving it.

Cooking when camping is not difficult, mainly because whatever you cook will no doubt be gratefully received. The hunger gained from hiking, swimming and sleeping outdoors is not a fussy hunger. It wants for hearty, warm meals that refuel the body for another day in the elements.

My favourite thing to cook when camping is damper: a simple dough twisted onto a stick and baked over coals resulting in hot, smokey bread heightened with a thick spread of butter and jam. Heavenly.

You can get the recipe over at the Martha Stewart Living blog, where I am very honoured to be a guest blogger.

Get my damper recipe on Martha Stewart

Camping in Oregon

Lentils for dinner one night and me in our campervan, hired from the lovely people at Road Trip Oregon

Some other meals that have stood out while camping are:

• Mushrooms cooked with onion, garlic and rosemary, served over puy lentils with a sprinkle of feta (pictured above)
  • Local, organic lamb chops cooked over the campfire served with slightly charred, sweet corn that has been nestled into the coals of the fire
  • Potatoes wrapped in foil and baked in the coals, served with store-bought salsa, tinned tuna and a dollop of sour cream
  • A rustic dahl made from yellow split peas, some curry powder, onion, garlic, carrots and zucchini.

This camping trip has been a wonderful way to slow down and appreciate the U.S and get to see a very different side to it than what I experienced in New York. The Oregon landscape is truly spectacular. I’ve bathed in volcanic hot springs, hiked through ancient forests and waded through glacial streams that nearly froze my toes off. The local food I’ve picked up from farm stands and co-ops has been another great way to get to know the region (huckleberry jam!).

Crater Lake, Oregon

The breathtaking Crater Lake in Oregon.

The next stop on this trip is Melbourne, Australia – home. Early Spring produce awaits as I skip Fall and Winter this year and head into seasons filled with passionfruit, BBQs and chilled New Zealand white wine.

10 thoughts on “Outdoor Cooking

1. Ann Mah says:

What an EXCITING journey! And I love the recipe for damper — not to mention the name. Congrats on a lovely contribution and bon voyage. That spring produce is waiting for you!

2. The Landy says:

Ya gotta love damper, my partner Janet cooks the best, at the risk of promoting myself, take a look when you get a chance!!!

3. Would love to try the damper recipe. Seems like you are having an exciting time traveling. How does it feel like skipping Fall and Winter this year?

4. Hello! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone4. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin
    that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share.
    Cheers!

My theme came with mobile design built in, thankfully as I have no idea how to do it otherwise. Good luck!

5. simplybysteph says:

Your damper recipe looks delish. I am heading to oregon (my home state by the way..love it) for a raft trip down the rogue river and will have to try this out!!

6. Beautiful photos and delicious looking damper!

Thanks Emily! I love your blog – happy birthday to you :)

7. Robyn says:

Camping sausage roll : Cook your damper on a large stick, squirt tomato sauce in the hole and then put in your cooked sausage in. The vegetarian gourmet sausages from wholefood are amazing! Enjoy!

What a great idea!