Introducing Louisa from Shuki and Louisa

Louisa is one half of Shuki and Louisa, a producer of Middle Eastern specialties, based in Melbourne, Australia. We met on a cold morning at the Woodend Farmers Market when we recognised each other from our blogs, and realised we were both having babies around the same time. Once a month I stock up on some of Shuki and Louisa’s delicious hummus and babaganoush, which are both creamy and perfectly seasoned. If you’re in Melbourne, you can taste them for yourself at Coburg, Flemington, Woodend and other famers markets. Check out their Facebook page for more info, and enjoy this simple and tasty Middle Eastern recipe.

Spiced lamb mince with hummus Hi there! I’m Louisa from Shuki and Louisa, taking over the reins of Amelia’s delightful blog, just for this week. I met Amelia a few months back at a farmers market, where I sell home made dips and I was stoked when she asked me to contribute a recipe to Simple Provisions.

The recipe I’ve chosen to share features one of the dips we make; hummus. I’ve not shared the actual recipe for hummus, not out of caginess but because I honestly belive that how you like your hummus is up to you! So either make it yourself with just the right amount of lemon and garlic, or buy a great one from your local store.

So what I am going to show you how to do is make a great appetiser/party dish with a lovely tub of hummus. It’s basically crisp, spiced lamb mince on hummus. There’s two important things here though, you need to make sure you hummus is not fridge cold. Like cheese, hummus is best served at room temperature, so store it in the fridge but take it out half an hour before you want to eat. Also, you need to make sure the lamb mince is good and crisp. This means careful stirring, breaking up and watching as you brown the mince. Then, you’ll achieve a nice textural contrast between the creamy, smooth hummus and the crisp lamb.

Spiced Lamb Mince with Hummus

• 250g tub of hummus (or homemade)
  • 200g lamb mince
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Olive oil
  • 1⁄4 bunch of parsley
  • Pita bread, to serve
  • A couple of pinches of paprika, to serve
  • Lemon wedges, to serve

First, take the hummus out of the fridge. Spread onto a plate and set aside. Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a big frypan, add the mince and stir as it cooks, making sure to break up any lumps. Keep stirring as it cooks, you want it nice and crisp. When it’s quite brown, add the spices and a pinch of salt stir well, cook until the spcies are fragrant and if your mince is quite fatty, spoon onto some absorbent paper, then spoon on top of the hummus. Add chopped parsley, paprika and a squeeze of lemon, serve with pita.

19 thoughts on “Guest Post: Spiced Lamb Mince with Hummus from Shuki and Louisa

1. Hayley says:

That looks delicious, if only I could find Lamb mince here in Singapore! Maybe I can give it a go with Chicken or Beef :)

2. It looks really really tasty!

3. Natalia says:

Ooooh, simple and delicious!!! I love love love hummus!

4. Wow, that looks incredible. I love the idea of doing something a little more out of the ordinary with hummus… it’s such a staple in our house! Now I just have to find a reliable, good recipe for pita… my past attempts have been failures.

5. Dinner tonight is now sorted. How absolutely delicious! And as a fellow Melbournite I’m going to be keeping a look out for you guys. Thanks so much!

6. Jody and Ken says:

What an interesting idea! I never saw hummus topped with anything, except maybe a swirl of evoo. Crispy minced lamb sounds great. Thanks. Ken

7. fabiosimi says:

very very beautifull!! compliment

8. bitsofnice says:

How absolutely delicious!

This looks gorgeous! Such an inviting photo. I love spiced lamb mince with rice, but adore the idea of scooping it up with some of that creamy-looking hummus; and a good squeeze of lemon. Delicious!

10. judythj says:

Looks delicious. Unfortunately minced lamb is not readily available at my local butcher – I’m going to have to visit the specialty shop – but that’s okay – looks like it will be worth it!

11. It’s so simple! love it!

12. This look amazing. I am always looking for new ways to cook mince. Can’t wait to try at home. I look forward to exploring your blog some more. Emma.

13. Gorgeous recipe! This basically has all my favourite things on the one plate.
    Very much looking forward to giving this one a go this week. X

14. laurasmess says:

Oh my… this looks divine! I’ve actually served this combination on a thin and crispy pizza base for the best pizza around, but I don’t think I got the mince as crispy as specified. I definitely need to try this!!! Gorgeous recipe. Great guest post. Thanks for introducing us to Shuki and Louisa, Amelia! xx

15. Vasun says:

This would taste really good with some warm pita/bread. delicious!