Pistachio-Stuffed Dates With Coconut | Simple Provisions

Medjool dates have become a regular in my fridge lately. These middle eastern fruits boast soft, sticky flesh and a flavour that is a sweet mix of honey and caramel. They’re lovely as a snack by themselves, but are just as comfortable adding a rich sweetness to other dishes.

I’ve been including them in my Bircher Muesli mix, where the overnight soaking plumps them up and renders them almost fudge-like. I’ve also made several batches of these Choco-Almond Truffles that get all their sweetness from the dates, but taste like real chocolate truffles. Dates make a banana smoothie extra sweet, can provide some texture to a cheese board and are delightful in a tagine.

Without too much effort, they can be pimped out with complimentary middle-eastern flavours to create a snack or dessert that is relatively healthy, and looks positively pretty.

Pistachio-Stuffed Dates With Coconut | Simple Provisions

Using the date as a base, pistachios are chopped and mixed with honey and tahini to create a paste that is stuffed into the centre of the date. A sprinkling of coconut finishes it all off. Simple. The rich, sweetness of the dates is offset by the sesame hit from the tahini and the lightness of the coconut. It’s a one-bite sweet treat that is rich in fibre and potassium, and gluten free.

I recently attended a party hosted by friends who avoid gluten. I was charged with bringing a dessert. I cheated and bought two slices of gluten-free apricot and coconut shortbread from the deli, but that wasn’t enough to go around. So I added these pistachio-stuffed dates, a handful of nuts and dried fruit and laid them all out on a platter to make a pretty, not-too-sweet dessert. It provided a nice contrast to the other sweet treats on the table. And the leftovers didn’t last long in my fridge. They’re a great, quick, mid-morning snack.

Pistachio-Stuffed Dates With Coconut | Simple Provisions

Pistachio-Stuffed Dates with Coconut

Makes 26 dates

• 1/2 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
• 1 teaspoon tahini
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 26 dates
• Shredded, unsweetened coconut, for sprinkling over the top

Chop pistachios in a food processor till a crumble-like texture forms. Mix pistachios with the honey and tahini, adding a little extra of each if the mix needs more to stick together nicely.

Slice each date lengthways to the pit, then remove the pit.

Stuff the pistachio mixture into each date then sprinkle with coconut.

Adapted from Whole Living, Jan/Feb 2012 issue

35 thoughts on “Pistachio-Stuffed Dates With Coconut

1. Jody and Ken says:

Chuckled when I saw this. The dates not only look great, but 2 or 3 photos will give you the entire show. I’m jealous. Nice job. Ken

2. mmh nice! my mom used to make marzipan stuffed dates rolled in coconut flakes, pistachios must be great too! Thanks for sharing :)

I love marzipan! Your mum’s dates sound great, and would be lovely at Christmas time.

1. Definitely :) Will remind her and also suggest your version to her!!

3. erika says:

Oh YUM! These sound so good!! And the colors are just gorgeous. I kind of want to make these to accompany the sure-to-be-sugar-loaded Thanksgiving dessert table! Also, have you tried making brownies with dates, walnuts and cocoa powder? SO good.

I haven’t tried date brownies, but they sound like they’d be rich and caramely and divine!

4. Anything pistachio is a winner for me! These look delish! X

They’re perfect for pistachio fans :)

5. This sounds so delicious! I have some dates hiding in the back of my fridge that will be just perfect. :)

I hope you enjoy them!

6. Claire Webb says:

Beautiful colors, and such an elegant presentation. These would be awesome for my Paleo friends as well.

Yes Claire – I hadn’t thought of that, but they are totally paleo friendly.

7. What an awesome idea, would be a great carb and protein source for my distance running friend and I

Yes! I’m certainly not a runner, but they’ve been a great protein snack for me during this pregnancy.

8. What a lovely blend of tastes! Will try it soon

I hope you enjoy them.

9. How divine. I am making our Christmas puddings this week and have used medjool dates in the fruit mix. They are so plump, lush and delicious. Love the idea of stuffing them with pistachio and coconut.

Including medjool dates in the Christmas pud sounds delicious! I might have to suggest it to my mum who is also making it this week.

10. Yummo! I love date anything and pistachio most things :-) These look wonderful!

11. milkandbun says:

Ideal snack for me, I so love dates!:)

I hope you enjoy them!

12. What a great alternative to bacon-wrapped dates!

13. Michelle says:

There are few things better than plain old Medjool dates. But, I think this is one!

14. Interesting bite sized healthy snack….

I am positively starving and I’m sure that date at the front of the first photo is aimed straight for me.
    Love medjools. Gorgeous pimping Amelia. That’s a lovely spread, and you’ve inspired me. I have THREE gluten-free family members visiting tomorrow. Yikes!

16. I’m a big fan of stuffed dates. Its time I switch to pistachio stuffing rather than chocolate-Almond :)

17. shuarvilla says:

You have some great recipes

18. mm, reminds me of my amazeballs! nom nom

19. janice says:

call me a chocoholic! just wondering if you’ve tried chocolate covered?

I haven’t Janice, but I like your thinking!