Spiced Almond and Coconut Milk | Simple Provisions

The autumn sun is casting beautiful golden light at the moment. It adds a warm glow to my street which is currently lined with bursts of crimson, saffron and the most vivid yellow as the trees prepare to cast off their leaves. With this lovely spectacle comes a chill in the air (to everyone who warned me that Kyneton gets cold, this is your chance to nod knowingly). But the fading sun still has some warmth in it, making it possible to sit outside, as long as your hands are wrapped around a mug of something hot.

Spiced Almond and Coconut Milk | Simple Provisions

I’ve given up coffee and I’m trying to avoid caffeine, so my standard lattes and chai teas are no longer keeping me warm. To enjoy my afternoon tea in the backyard I wanted something more satisfying than herbal tea but less sweet than hot chocolate, which is being quite fussy, I know. After digging around my recipe files I found what I was after; something warm, milky, naturally sweet and gently spiced.

Spiced Almond and Coconut Milk | Simple Provisions

Almond milk is made by soaking almonds overnight, blitzing them in a blender with some water till they break down into a fine pulp, then straining that pulp through cheesecloth or a fine sieve to separate the ‘milk’. It’s a delicious alternative to cow’s milk, especially in smoothies or porridge where it adds a nutty depth of flavour. This recipe adds coconut to the blender as well as cardamom and dried fruit for sweetness and cinnamon for a hint of spice. The water you add is hot, so that once you’ve strained the sweet and spicy pulp, you’re left with a warm mug of tasty milk.

Spiced Almond and Coconut Milk | Simple Provisions

This milk is calming. The warmth from the spices and the sweetness from the coconut and dates combine to form a liquid hug. You could stir in some honey if you’ve got a sweet tooth. It has a surprisingly satisfying mouth feel, not tasting at all watery, and is a lovely treat for a solitary afternoon tea, sitting outdoors with a good book, enjoying the autumnal sun.

Spiced Almond and Coconut Milk

Makes 1 big mug or 2 cups

• 1/4 cup almonds, soaked in water overnight
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 4 dates, roughly chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups of hot water
  • Honey to taste

Place almonds in a blender or deep saucepan with coconut, cardamom, fruit, cinnamon and hot water. Blend (with a stick mixer if using a saucepan), until frothy. Strain through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth and squeeze to release the milk into a bowl. Add honey to taste and serve with a cookie and a good book.

Recipe from the lovely Fete Press

26 thoughts on “Spiced Almond and Coconut Milk

1. I can’t wait to try this! Like you, I avoid caffeine, but don’t like cows milk, so I often struggle with hot drinks other than chocolate-based ones, but this looks like it could fill a gap!

I hope it does for you. It’s a bit more hassle than just putting the kettle on, but it’s a lovely treat.

2. Darya says:

Absolutely lovely. Why did I never think of adding spices to almond milk? It must be so delicious!

3. HenishaSP says:

This sounds delicious! Kind of like a chai, much more calming.

4. beautiful photography!

5. Louisa says:

Coconut and dates, best combination ever! Never tried it in drink format though, must give it a go. Totally agreed about the temperature in your neck of the woods this time of year, it’s freezing but in a nice way. Keep warm!

Thanks Louisa, I’m stocking up on woolen socks

6. Ah, beautiful! And a lovely twist on something simple.

I’ve always wondered how to make almond milk — mystery solved! I don’t drink coffee either (and only one cup of tea a day… or else :) Thanks for a delicious afternoon pick -me-up alternativeM

No worries Ann. I am currently drinking a chai made with roast dandelion instead of black tea – it’s really good. Another alternative!

8. I love almond milk but have only tried the store bought varieties. Someday I must get up the courage to try making it myself.

It is definitely one of those things that seems harder than it really is. The trickiest part is remembering to soak the almonds!

9. This looks so milky good. I love chai and I love horchata. Thank you for posting a delightful homemade warm beverage.

You’re welcome! I have only tried horchata once. I’ll have to try it again when the weather gets warmer.

10. Delicious, I tried this today and it was lovely, thanks for sharing! Just wondering what you do with the left over almond meal.

So glad you liked it! Excellent question about the leftover pulp. This post from Edible Perspective has some great ideas like stirring it in to porridge, adding to smoothies and making crackers http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2013/2/20/almond-milk-revisited-plus-almond-pulp-crackers-breakfast-br.html

11. I love almond milk and coconut milk, but I’ve never made it myself. I am going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

I hope you enjoy it!

12. I’ve been wanting to try my own almond milk for ages — pretty sure you’ve just inspired me to actually do it :D

Good luck! Though I found it was way easier in reality than it was in my mind.

13. Mmmmm so yummy. I’m in Ecuador for the summer, and icy coconut milk is a staple at fairs and other parties which I love! Can’t wait to try this spiced, warm version when I get home.

Wow! Ecuador! What an amazing place to visit. Enjoy!