Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and Yoghurt

Turning a head of cauliflower into a tray of roasted, golden, gently spiced florets happens often in my kitchen during the cooler months. I use the caramelised flavour and interesting texture as a base for warm salads, pastas, soups, or just for eating directly from the tray, preferably with a beer in hand.

Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and Yoghurt

Like many vegetables, cauliflower done badly is, well, bad. Soft, grey lumps hiding under a blanket of packet-mix cheese sauce that has developed its own skin is not appetising. It’s how I was introduced to cauliflower, and is why it spent many years in my food wilderness. But when a small dish of roasted cauliflower, generously spiced with zatar and served with yoghurt was placed on my table at a Middle Eastern restaurant, things changed. Its smokey flavour and slightly crunchy texture was not the cauliflower I knew as a kid. It was interesting and delightful, and very simple to achieve at home.

Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and YoghurtI’ve experimented with a several versions of this warm salad, but the mix of cumin and coriander on the cauliflower alongside the crunch of almonds and freshness of parsley is something I always return to. Cranberries, golden raisins or sultanas add a pleasing sweetness that offsets the zesty lemon-spiked yoghurt that acts as a dressing. If you can get your hands on a pomegranate, use its jewel-like seeds to bedazzle this dish instead of dried fruit. Pomegranate seeds provide a burst of sourness and texture that really lift this dish.

Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and Yoghurt

This salad is robust enough to eat on its own as a simple lunch, or mix it through cooked quinoa or cous cous to make it go a bit farther. This week I served it alongside a slow-roasted pork belly. (I mostly followed this pork belly recipe, though swapped out the cumin and chilli for two tablespoons of fennel seeds and a teaspoon of black peppercorns. Delicious.) Lamb cutlets would also be a great partner to this salad.

Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and Yoghurt

Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and Yoghurt

• 1 whole cauliflower
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp dry roasted almonds
  • 2 tbsp dried cranberries or the seeds of a pomegranate
  • Handful of parsley
  • 3 tbsp greek yoghurt
  • 2 tsp lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 210C/425F.

Chop the cauliflower into roughly even florets (no need to be too precise, the smaller pieces will get a bit crispy, and that’s lovely). Pound the cumin and coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle. In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower with the spices and olive oil, then season.

Spread the cauliflower onto a large, lined baking sheet, ensuring the florets are in one layer with no overlapping pieces. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the cauliflower is soft and the edges golden.

While the cauliflower is cooking, roughly chop the almonds, cranberries and parsley.

Prepare the yoghurt sauce by combining the yoghurt with lemon juice and add salt to taste.

When the cauliflower is done, transfer onto a serving plate and sprinkle the almonds, cranberries and parsley over the top. Drizzle the yoghurt sauce evenly over everything and serve.

Inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Cumin Seed Roasted Cauliflower with Yoghurt

37 thoughts on “Roasted Cauliflower With Almonds, Cranberries and Yoghurt

1. I really like the nutty flavor of roast cauliflower and this recipe looks delicious! I’ll definitely be making it soon.

I hope you enjoy it Jess

2. katiewebster says:

Dressing up vegetables in this way is sure to get everyone to eat them. This looks amazing. Great combination if flavors.

I think so Katie, thanks

3. I have to agree with you. Roasted Cauliflower is such a simple wonderful discovery. This salad looks delicious ( as does the pork! thanks for the link.)

Thank YOU for the pork recipe! It stayed in my mind and when I saw pork belly at the market this weekend it all came together :)

Oh boy, I love this combination. Such great textures, with the nuts, seeds and drizzle of yogurt. Very keen to give it a try. The pork belly looks gorgeous too.
    Big fan of roasted cauli – often toss it onto home-made pizza and have been known to turn it into soup too, with chestnuts. I think Autumn may be on its way for us soon… still waiting…

I’ve never cooked with chestnuts Saskia – but can imagine the flavour combo with cauliflower being delicious. Will add it to the ‘to try’ list. If you need a dose of Autumn, pop up to Kyneton early in the morning and you’ll get a nice bit of chill!

Had a lovely weekend in Kyneton recently with some girlfriends. You are one lucky lady living there. Such a beautiful town, and so many lovely lunch options! My favourite was Inner Biscuit.

The restaurants were a big part of the reason for moving here. Inner Biscuit is really lovely, as is the new deli that’s opened at the other end of Piper St. It’s a lovely town for a girls weekend, hope you had fun!

We had a ball. Love Mr Carsisi, and can never resist having a poke around Kabinett. It sure is a ‘girls weekend’ place – the town seemed to be full of coffee-quaffing ladies, ourselves included!

5. Cauliflower, is one of those vegetables, that I know I should be eating, but I don’t normally cook with. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will definitely give it a try.

Roasting is a really easy way to add flavour to cauliflower, I hope you enjoy it.

6. Roasted cauliflower is probably my favorite way to eat it. Your dish looks beautiful and sounds super tasty; love the sweet + savory. Look forward to making my own rendition in the near future. Thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome! Thanks for stopping by.

7. YUM! I just made a dish with roasted cauliflower too, so tasty!

Isn’t it? There is definitely more roasted cauliflower coming out of my kitchen in the new few months.

8. CuredByBacon says:

I love roasted cauliflower to no end! This looks right up my alley!! Great photos too!

Cheers!

Oh, yum! I make roasted cauliflower often — but usually plain. I can’t wait to try this gussied up version!

Is NYC still providing suitable weather for roasting Ann? Or have the ramps and peas finally sprung?

10. jette virdi says:

I adore Cauliflower! I usually do a yoghurt dip with these exact spices and then roast it…think this could be my new fave!!

Cauliflower carries these flavours so well – enjoy!

11. Moira says:

Lo probé y me encanto!

12. Very original! I never found an exciting recipe for my dull cauliflower dishes. Thanx

You’re welcome

13. Neha says:

Just made this, and it was so good! I remember you cooking this for us this summer and I can’t believe I’ve waited this long to try it myself. Simple and delicious!

Yay! Glad you liked it Neha. It is much more suited to this time of year. I think I made it in Summer because I hadn’t had a winter in 12 months and I missed this dish!

14. Lovely, I’m going to try a variation of this tomorrow! Thanks for posting

I hope you enjoy it!

15. Buttersock says:

Everyone enjoyed this when I made it – out of cranberries so subbed currants. Worked great. Nice and easy to make – thanks for the recipe :)