Slow-roasted Cherry Tomatoes

Preserving food at the end of Summer requires respect for tomorrow’s hunger. The effort of chopping up fruit, sterilising jars and dabbling in science to capture the sweetness of the season brings no immediate gratification. But when the chill of the evening air takes your breath away and the sun is keeping its distance, a twist of a lid to reveal a soft peach or sticky jam is heavenly.

This week I found myself with a tomato glut, ripe for my future cravings.

Slow-roasted Cherry Tomatoes

A green-thumbed and generous friend gifted me three tomato seedlings as a housewarming present last year. It was  late in the planting season, but I found a spare bit of dirt behind a wall of lavender, popped them in and hoped for the best. The hardy little plants have not only survived the dry heat of Summer, they’ve thrived and are producing bright, juicy fruit faster than I can consume them.

Slow-roasted Cherry Tomatoes

I wanted to capture the sweetness of these perfectly formed beauties, so rather than breaking them down in a sauce, I opted for a long, slow roast in a low oven. The slow cooking dries out the tomatoes just enough to add texture but leaving them in the oven once it’s turned off allows the juices to collect with the tomatoes to maintain their sweetness. When you steal yourself a warm tomato from the tray you’ll get a burst of sweetness followed by a hint of vinegar, making you second guess whether you added some during cooking. The flavour is intense and uplifting.

Slow-roasted Cherry Tomatoes

A jar of slow-roasted tomatoes in the fridge is an excellent excuse for simple fare that needs one crowning ingredient. Add them to a bowl of pasta dressed in olive oil and black pepper. Scatter them over a quinoa salad with crumbled feta or stick a few in a toasted ham and cheese sandwich and appreciate the depth of flavour they add. I stirred a handful through a warm bowl of freshly-cooked white beans, tore some basil over the top and ate a bowl of comfort.

Oven-dried Tomatoes

Oven-dried Tomatoes

As many cherry tomatoes as you want (or that will fit on your oven trays)

A generous drizzle of olive oil

Salt and pepper

Fresh thyme, oregano or rosemary

Heat oven to 150C/300F. Line an oven tray with baking paper.

Halve the tomatoes and arrange cut-side up in a single layer on the tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season. Scatter a sprig or two of torn herbs over the top.

Place in the oven for an hour and a half to two hours (I like mine a tiny bit blackened). Turn off the oven and leave the tomatoes in the oven to cool.

Store covered in olive oil in an air-tight container and keep in the fridge.

Recipe from Frances Boswell, the lovely Chinese doctor I saw in New York.

28 thoughts on “Slow-roasted Cherry Tomatoes

1. This is a welcome promise of what’s to come as we wait for yet more snow here in Connecticut. Yum.

I hear that you still need to rug up on the East Coast! Happy to provide some hope for the season to turn :)

2. Vine ripened sweet 100’s or sun golds are one thing I look forward to every summer, this recipe is something I must try! Do you know how long they last in the fridge?

Hi! If they’re in oil, they should keep for a few weeks. Honestly, mine have never lasted longer than a few days, but only because I eat them that fast.

3. Enjoyed your post. And your photos are terrific, as always.

Thank you Rona! I enjoy looking at your beautiful photos. The flowers are just stunning.

4. omeletta says:

Roasting cherry tomatoes is easily one of my all-time favorite things about summer. I love reading your blog while in the states, the backwards seasons make me either nostalgic or excited :) I can’t wait for late summer tomatoes now!

That’s how I feel looking at my Pinterest feed! It’s full of Spring right now as I feel like hunkering down :)

5. Helen says:

Thanks Amelia. This is very timely as I have an influx of tomatoes. Hoe long long do you think they will keep for?

They’ll keep for a few weeks in a jar of oil in the fridge (unless you eat them first, like I do).

Awesome post Amelia. Your photos are beautiful, and may I compliment you on your writing too – that first paragraph is so evocative. It cast me straight back to my house-sharing years, when my flatmate’s dad would bring jars of preserved tomatoes and sauce over for us to use through Winter. My cherry tomato plant is quite pathetic at the moment. I’m tempted to buy them in bulk now, for slow-roasting!

Thank you Saskia! Those lovely words mean a lot coming from someone who produces such a gorgeous blog herself!

7. So lovely, this idea of thoughtfully preparing food for much later. It goes against all the mores of our fast-food, instant gratification age. Rohan at Whole Larder Love also wrote about “passata day” this week — I think you two could be pals, if you’re not already. (:

You’re so right Valerie. I love Rohan’s blog, his writing and photos are so beautiful. I’ve been eyeing off the new weekend courses he’s running. The accommodation he’s set up looks gorgeous. Maybe!

This post makes me so happy, filled as it is with the promise of heat, sun and summer. And I’m extremely impressed with your green thumb!

If I was to tell the whole truth, I may plant the seedlings, but I outsource the maintenance of them to my partner. I give his green thumb strong encouragement :)

9. It always makes my day when I click through other blogger’s “liked this” section and stumble upon a great discovery! E.g. Simple Provisions.

I heart slow roasted vegetables, always add a nice dimension to any dish. I think I’ll get on this ASAP! Thanks Amelia, woohoo! <3

Happy you found me, and I you – your blog is lovely.

1. You are too sweet! <3 And I am currently scrolling through your blogs, so many treasures to go through *__*

10. e. says:

Just pinned this and now i cant WAIT for summer tomatoes so i can make it!

Thanks for pinning!

11. I oven roast oven tomatoes and freeze them for pasta dishes, soups, and pizzas. They last all winter;)

Good to know they freeze well, thanks for sharing!

12. Yum! Slow roasted tomatoes are one of my favorite ingredients!! Never thought about storing them in olive oil and sticking in the fridge! Thank you!!

You’re welcome.

13. I have just done this with the bounty of cherry tomato gardens from our garden and the photo with beans just inspired me. I will be serving them up this way in the near future–thank you for a wonderfu, gorgeous blog!! :)

I’m six months away from having cherry tomatoes again, it’s frosty here – I’m glad I can live vicariously through you! Enjoy.