What's your homesick toast?

Wow! I am overwhelmed and so excited by the response to my post about the toast I make when I’m feeling homesick for Australia. Thank you all so much for your comments, it was great to meet you all!

Some of your comments got me thinking: what do you put on a piece of bread when you’re away and feeling nostalgic for the taste of home?

Kimberly said she relies on peanut butter and jam, because it reminds her of her mum in Canada. Marmalade on toast is a taste of home for travelling Pom Wordswithnannaprawn.

Do you New Yorkers get a hankering for a Reuben?

Do Mexicans crave a warm tortilla with melted queso?

Are the English all hankering for marmalade or is Marmite your go-to spread?

Here’s an idea – let’s share our homesick toasts so we can all get a taste of home from different parts of the world.

Simply share:

• a photo of the sandwich/toast you make when you’re homesick (it doesn’t have to be your photo, but if it’s not, be sure to credit it with a link)
  • 140 characters on why this reminds you of home
  • a link to your blog (if you have one) so I can link to you
Send it to simpleprovisions@gmail.com, or tweet @ameeliah, and I’ll curate the entries and post them next Friday (6th July).

Submissions have now closed. See the homesick toasts here, and contribute in the comments if you’d like to add yours.

I look forward to traveling the world via your toasts (if you’re game…)!

Thanks again for stopping by,

Amelia

(Perhaps Americans could get some inspiration from this cute idea for a blog – a sandwich for each state.)

14 thoughts on “Call For Submissions: What’s Your Homesick Toast?

1. Val says:

Great idea :)

I look forward to seeing your toast Val! :)

2. anita says:

Unfortunately I lose my appetite when I’m homesick =[

Ah, good point Anita! I think I have the opposite problem, which my jeans can attest to when I first moved to the U.S!

3. Kimberly says:

Upon return from my holidays this will be the first thing I make and do! How fun, can’t wait to see all the responses that come!

4. I love your blog! My homesick toast would be Nutella toast. My college roommates and I used to eat Nutella all the time, and seeing it makes me “homesick” for Chapel Hill, NC.

I don’t let myself buy jars to bring home, though, because I’ll eat it all in one sitting, so I won’t be posting a picture!

Ha! That is completely understandable, I’d have the same problem.

5. Emily says:

I am so game! Now I just need to find a picture!

6. I love this idea! As an Aussie, I agree that avo is always one that reminds me of home but I haven’t tried it with goats cheese – with avocados being abundant at the farmers markets now, I’ll give it a go this weekend :)
    I’ll be looking forward to seeing the other submissions and will send you one of my fav toastie creations.

Can’t wait to see it!