Homesick Avocado on Toast

I have fully embraced the New York breakfast of boiled dough spread thick with an inch of cream cheese.

Bagels fuel the working week in NYC. Every Tuesday at work there is a long meeting that uses bagels to lure people in. We take turns in bringing the bagels, which means we start each meeting dissecting today’s batch, comparing them to the reigning favourite provider. If you bring sub-par bagels, you put productivity in jeopardy. These chewy rolls demand respect, and I’m happy to give it to them.

But sometimes, I miss Australian breakfasts.

A thick slice of toast smothered in creamy avocado and spiked with fresh herbs and citrus is happiness on a plate to me. It tastes like home, or, more specifically, a menu item at one of my favourite cafes in Melbourne. So when I feel a longing for Australia, I make Homesick Toast.

Homesick Avocado on Toast

There are three key elements to this recipe: ripe avocado, sturdy toast and flavoursome cheese.

There is a fine balance between a beautifully ripe avocado and one sporting brown mushy sections. Avocados are a climacteric fruit, which means they mature on the tree but ripen off it. Bananas do this too, but bananas helpfully change colour when they’re about to go past their prime (and into the freezer ready for banana cake another day).

A perfectly ripe avocado will yield to gentle pressure, but so will a brown, stringy one. The trick I learned this week via The Kitchn is to remove the little button at the stem end of the avocado and check the colour underneath. If it’s green, you’ll find delicious creamy flesh inside. If it’s brown, you’ll be presented with a sepia, more slimey and not overly appetizing version. Avoid those.

You want a robust bread for this recipe that will give support to the mushy topping. Pick bread that is free of gaping holes and crumbly crusts. A dense sourdough loaf from your local baker is perfect.

If you can get your hands on some good quality marinated goats cheese, do that. Or, if you’re organised, you can make it yourself with a recipe like this one from Saveur. Feta (from goat or cow) also works really well. I am very partial to an Australian goats cheese from Meredith Dairy, and was lucky to find it in my local cheese store in Brooklyn – even better for a taste of home.

Lime and mint make a guest appearance in this recipe, taking a break from their traditional cocktail duties, to provide some levity and zing.

You may not be homesick, but you can travel to Melbourne vicariously through this toast, and I can assure you that it’s a lovely place to visit.

Update: Simple Provisions readers have sent in their version of homesick toast – check them out here.

Homesick Toast (Avocado and Goats Cheese with Lime on Toast)

Serves 2 for breakfast or lunch

2 thick slices of your favourite bread

1 avocado

Juice of 1/2 a lime

2 teaspoons chopped mint, plus a bit extra for presentation

60g goat cheese or feta

Olive oil

Salt flakes and freshly ground pepper

Toast your bread. While it’s in the toaster, halve, pit  and peel your avocado and scoop out the flesh with a spoon then pop it in a bowl.

Mash the avocado with a fork and mix in the lime juice and mint. Crumble your cheese and fold it into the avocado mixture, leaving some bits chunky.

Spread the avocado mixture onto your toast and top with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle some extra mint to make it pretty and serve with lime wedges on the side.

204 thoughts on “Homesick Toast

1. Mmm, this looks delicious! I love avocado and goat cheese together. Isn’t it amazing how such simple combinations can be so satisfying? :)

Yes! Incredibly satisfying.

2. As much as I love bagels and cream cheese, you Melbourne breakfast looks far better. Perhaps it is my serious love of avocados. I’ve got a few ripening on my counter right now and some mint in my fridge. Sounds like breakfast tomorrow morning for me!

3. Ann Mah says:

Avocado on toast is an old favorite, but to doll it up with feta and herbs? What a combo! I must get my hands on an avocado immediately!

Enjoy Ann Mah!

4. omg that sounds amazing. And thanks for the avocado-ripeness tip! Congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

Ah! What a thrill! Thanks for letting me know about being freshly pressed, and enjoy your ripe avocados :)

5. GREAT tip about checking the avocado for ripeness…I’m always so disappointed when I cut into one only to find about two useable bites…

Your recipe looks absolutely amazing, by the way.

Right? Nothing quite like an avocado letting you down.

6. Poul says:

good post,i enjoyed very much

7. annashae staffing says:

Reblogged this on annashaestaffing and commented:
    Mmmm… Here’s another recipe for today!

8. Yummmm! I love avocado, but not a big fan of goat cheese because it’s a bit strong for me. I prefer cheddar or farmer’s cheese. I’ll definitely have to try this. And congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

Thanks, I’m very excited!

Farmer’s cheese would work well, enjoy.

9. 365doss says:

I’ve just written a post about missing the food from home – must be one of those days. Long live the Melbourne breakfast. Nothing in the world beats it!!

10. 365doss says:

Reblogged this on 365 Days of Something Special and commented:
    Talking of missing food from home, here’s a wonderful post that I saw immediately after posting mine – homesick toast is the word! Must be the day for it…

11. I reckon I’m going home to eat a tomato and avocado sandwich for dinner.

12. kathrinjapan says:

I love that there is another use for Avocado other than Guacamole and Salad. Sounds so yummy. I can’t wait to make!

13. zeynepmutlu says:

i love avocado.. Will try your recipe very soon!!

intheendless.com

14. Ouuu yum! I know a guy who’s obsessed with avocado!
    I think he’d enjoy this a lot!

Katie

15. Emily Day says:

Looks tasty! I will have to try – so simple and fresh!

16. nazarioartpainting says:

I love the avocado. I love make a sandwich with just american cheese and avocado with the bread toast. In Puerto Rico we make Gaspacho. It is a recipe with avocado, cod, tomatoes and oilve oil. You cut everything in square and mix with olive oil. You can eat gaspacho with white rice or with bread as a sandwich. Oh my now I am hungry see you all I have to eat!

17. Sarah Harris says:

Ooh! So excited to see this! I have a ripe avocado waiting for me at home but I had no creative juice in how to prepare it! Can’t wait to give it a whirl!!

18. david says:

Looks great :-) I just bought a avocado and was not sure what to do with it … now I know!

19. 7cakes says:

Oh my goodness, this looks heavenly! Avocado and goat cheese?!?!?! yum =D

20. That looks tasty. Congrats on being freshly pressed.

Thanks Richard!

21. eesh says:

gorgeous photos! yum.

22. dyefeltsool says:

That sounds splendid! I would never have thought to mix the avocado with cheese, but I love both so why not! Thanks for sharing.

23. This seems so delicious!
    And thanks for the tip :)

24. MyBlissPoint says:

Reblogged this on MyBlissPoint and commented:
    I think I will have this tomorrow morning!!

25. Nicolle says:

Sounds delicious and like something I will have to try soon.
    Congrats on Freshly pressed.

Thanks Nicolle

26. This looks incredible…I love trying new foods people bring from their homes all over the world! Cheers to you!

27. Charlotte says:

I will definitely try this one. I love avocado :)

28. kind-cook says:

What would the world be like without cheese? Well, I wouldn’t even want to know!!!

Thanks for sharing!

29. Alaina says:

This looks luscious. Beautiful. And lovely photos!

30. jeniacovelli says:

this sounds amazing! thanks for sharing! love the pics, too :)

31. Danielle says:

Meredith dairy goat’s cheese fetta – heaven in a jar. Bedford Cheese Shop – one of the big things I miss about NY :)

Yes, it’s great. But I’m looking forward to getting home and getting a jar of cheese from the source!

32. princessfullydivorcing says:

This looks so yummy!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

33. lauren brennan says:

That look delicious Milly! Breakfast for sunday sorted :)

I’m guessing Miss Lucy is too young for toast, but I hope you and Tony enjoy it!

34. Sarah says:

Boy, does that sound good! Tomorrow morning, for sure.

35. Wow – that sounds good!!! Can’t wait to make it – Thank-you so much for posting this awesome recipe!

CHECK OUT MY BLOG: lovablekitties.wordpress.com

36. sarahsjoys says:

That’s a California meal! My family makes something similar all the time but haven’t tried it with goat cheese. We usually mix in a little grated gouda or manchego. I will have to try it with the goat cheese! My husband lived in Australia when he was young. We really want to go back some time!! If you love all things avocado you can check out my blog at: http://sarahsjoys.com/2012/02/24/avocado-pesto/, http://sarahsjoys.com/2012/02/21/chocolate-avocado-mousse/, and http://sarahsjoys.com/2011/12/11/avocado-fudge/ Congratulations on being freshly pressed!!

37. Nichol Caddingham says:

Reblogged this on Modern Gentleman and commented:
    I’m making this tomorrow morning.

38. starlight says:

love! this is absolutely a comfort food.

39. SunflowerHW says:

I would definitely eat this anytime, not just for breakfast. I looks delectable. Have you made it for your co-workers?

No I haven’t! I should :)

40. drivelology says:

My goodness that looks divine! Will definitely be giving this one a go!

41. Grumpa Joe says:

even though I just finished my evening meal, I anxiously look forward to a version of your Homesick Toast tomorrow morning.

42. Rizal says:

look delicious :)

43. A Freshly Pressed Aussie Brekky – delish :) (we actually thought it was a bit bonkers when we first emigrated to Australia 6 years ago but nowadays we have far less Pommie marmalade on toast and much more avocado! )

Hi Nanna Prawn! Your reply got me thinking about what other homesick toasts exist in the world. I’d love it if you could send in a photo of your marmalade toast! http://simpleprovisions.com.au/2012/06/29/homesicktoastsubmission/

44. Kai says:

o wooooow! i soooo wna try making this. i looove avocado &this is one more awesome way of enjoying it. will endeavor to make one soon! :D

45. I never thought to put bananas in the freezer for later on! oh and the toast looks good too ha ah

Thanks Caroline!

46. Reblogged this on Skipping Stars Cuisines and commented:
    Australian food – it might surprise you.

47. what an amazing recipe thanks!!

48. Robie says:

That sounds like a delicious breakfast!

49. Anna Marie says:

Yum – Makes me want to fix myself some toast and avocado right now. Lovely photos too!

50. The photos of your food are gorgeous! Be in touch if you would like to submit any. We would be happy to publish some of your work if you are a match. Even if you have ever felt some depression or anxiety. Especially love your first shot!

51. Oh wow, I couldn’t have put that more perfectly myself….this is exactly the sort of thing I get food-homesick for!!! Avocados and grainy toast seem so far away right now…

52. Penescapes says:

simple but ez to make. I eat my avocado on a corn tortilla slathered with salsa. But, i must try this Aussie toast…thank you!

That sounds delicious too Penescapes

53. teacuptiger says:

what kind of bread is in the photo?

It’s a quinoa and flax seed loaf, something I’d never tried before but it was lovely and dense.

1. teacuptiger says:

it looks excellent. i will definitely try this combination after seeing your post!

54. A wonderful recipe. Thanks. I have a similar way of doing this but I have never tried mint with it. And I have some nice mint on my balcony.

55. This is so beautiful that it makes ME homesick and I grew up in London and do not remember knowing avocados existed outside of colorful storybooks- for what is really an embarrassing length of time. Really, really lovely. Thank you for sharing and spreading your nostalgia!

56. Flav_Holman says:

That looks amazing. I have an avocado in the fridge, so might just buy some feta and use your recipe.

57. I just ate this up for breakfast! I miss the Southern Hemisphere too….avocadoes are certainly a help.

So glad you made it Valerie!

58. Leah says:

I love the Meredith goats cheese on a good sourdough with avocado….great post and you’ve inspired me to go shopping for this weekend’s breakfast :-)

Enjoy Leah! I was pretty excited to find Meredith goats cheese in NYC!

59. Kimberly says:

My “homesick toast” (Canadian in Australia for the year) is simply peanut butter and jam since it reminds me of my mom. I took bagels to a staff breakfast and they got a lot of comments… many not positive – I didn’t realize bagels were SO NOT common here! Whoops!

It’s an opportunity for education Kimberly! I haven’t tried a PB&J yet, I know I need to.

Hi Kimberly – you’re comment inspired me to try something different and ask for submissions (gulp!). I’d love it if you could send in your PB&J – the classic North American sandwich. Have a look at http://simpleprovisions.com.au/2012/06/29/homesicktoastsubmission/

60. Nia Brooks says:

This looks absolutely delicious! I’m going to try it :) thanks for the recipe and for the tip on checking avocado ripeness!

61. Aoife.D says:

As someone who moved to Australia 18 months ago I can confirm that this brekkie is theeeee best! So simple and so yum, I’ve never tried it with mint though, I’ll have to give that a go soon, thanks!

62. Catherine Wood says:

Mmmm delicious and great photography too. Keep ‘em coming Mil. xxo

63. Beautiful, easy and refreshing toast ¡¡

64. Scott says:

I like all your recipes. The photos have caught my interest.

65. Nathi says:

yummy……… my mouth is watering

66. Marcy says:

Yum, this looks scrumptious! I visited Australia in 2004, and Melbourne was my favorite city… although this recipe makes me homesick for California, where avocados are always in season. Thanks for sharing!

67. What a wonderful idea! Thank you! I am currently stuck on home cooked oat groats with nuts, seeds, raisins, and goji! Congrats on FP. Please drop into my word/blog. ;-)

68. kasmango says:

sounds like the perfect bite! Will definitely have to try this for breakfast or a snack.. you could start a new breakfast trend here in the US with this :)

I’ll give it a shot kasmango!

69. goodolewoody says:

Reblogged this on GoodOleWoody's Blog and Website and commented:
    Yum Yum!

70. Oh man! I used to eat Avo on toast in my uni days for dinner. Such comfort food!

71. rebelsprite says:

I’m at work, and I haven’t had breakfast yet……I want homesick toast! :-( But I’ll have to go settle for a bagel…

72. one word: DELICIOUS.

73. redteakettle says:

Yah! someone who also loves the simplicity of an avocado on bread:) Here in LA we have lots of lovely avocados.. and I usually mash mine up and put it in tortilla… Divine..:)

74. I love the name of your creation, it’s just ridiculously simple.

A cafe near my apartment in Brisbane used to make something similar and after reading your post, I’m craving the toast and missing the city.

Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

75. Great job! I love the recipe! Can’t wait to try it!

CHECK OUT MY BLOG: lovablekitties.wordpress.com

76. fromthericefields says:

Yum!

Haven’t got goat cheese but wonder if cottage cheese will taste just as good?

Cottage cheese will give you a similar texture, but the flavour won’t be as complex. I’d add some more salt to compensate. Let me know how you go!

1. fromthericefields says:

I thought about the salt as well.. Will be out for a while so won’t have the chance to try until I come back. Until then, I’ll get back to you :)

77. I could actually feel myself salivating while reading your recipe. Sounds beyond delicious and I am now going to nip down to my local Tesco’s and grab some of the ingredients. Cheers Mate!

78. I became so hungry, looking at the pictures. And I just had dinner! Might just have to try that out soon. ;)

79. Carlie Chew says:

Yummm, looks so delicious. I would rather eat that than a bagel any day. Bagels are the easy way to go, but they’re definitely not something you should eat everyday, that’s how I put on my freshmen 20 in college : ).

Yes, my first few months in NYC were a little, er, heavier than expected thanks to those bagels!

80. mdprincing says:

sounds delicious. I will certainly try this on our homemade artisan bread and perhaps a slice of fresh tomato from the garden.

81. Ann says:

Wow! The photo itself looks so appetizing! And love the name of the toast too. A really healthy, yummy and beautiful (I mean it!) toast! Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

82. okino says:

I love your photos, so well done and yes sounds totally yum!
    thanks for sharing

83. I have never even thought of pairing avocado with feta, but my goodness does that look delicious! And so simple.

84. That’s certainly a combination I’ve never seen or thought of before, but it looks delicious!

85. linaipanema says:

this looks good

86. A great post! I started my food blog just two days ago, the premise of which was to sort of bring home, or homeland/s closer by way of food. The theme is smashing too. Perfect for a food blog. I just put up my my first, post (rather clumsily, I must add), and the work that you have put in to make your blog look-how-it-looks inspires me to do the same.

Thanks for the inspiration! And congratulations on being featured on freshly pressed :)

Thanks so much! I’m new to this game too. Good luck with it all.

87. I can’t wait to try this. I actually just posted today on a sandwich I made using avacado as a spread along with cream cheese. Yummo!

88. Kristy says:

I just ate lunch (quinoa feta salad) but am hungry again after seeing the above image. Being a bit ditzy your lost me with the boiled dough part, as the picture didn’t match (I can get stuck on things like that, lol) but then I read on and was very pleased with your tip on checking avocados! I’ve never heard that before. I’ll definitely try this, there are some great local goat cheeses made here in Oregon. I’m not sure what my homesick dish would be…but you have me thinking and salivating. Hope you have a fabulous day and I’m already eyeing your asparagus tart link, be well. I only have a couple of recipes on my blog, but if you’re curious here’s a link :)

89. jemspacce says:

mmm…looks so so yummy, i just started getting into avocados my self. i eat up to 3 in a week and i lurve it. will be trying this out.

90. You’ve inspired me to add the citrus, cheese and herbs to a snack I already love, and the tip on checking ripeness without squeezing the poor blighters to death is genius, thank you.

91. steelewares says:

I reckon that’s delicious. I usually just spread avocado on toast and add a pinch of salt, your way’s a more presentable, say, to guests, haha.

92. tarapappas says:

This looks AMAZING–a combination of ingredients that I love! Can’t wait to try it!

93. hummm,Interesting,i am in Minnestoia try to know more about the food Flavor ,Enjoy.

94. Beautiful blog! Nothing better than avo on toast….. even better with feta!

95. Zohan says:

nice post. Homesick Toast! Funny!
    I write myself but not about my homesickness ( AZN in NYC). Check it out at http://www.swampweapon.wordpress.com

96. Love this post – and love the name of this delicious breakfast/snack!

97. wow 2 of my favorite foods in life…mixed together! will definitely try it!

98. ellyche says:

haha this is so true! every time I go out for breakfast this is what I order :P

99. I love the tip about how you check if the avocado is ripe / over-ripe. I’ll definitely be using that in the future!

100. 21centuryjane says:

THIS IS NOT FAIR, I’M AT WORK…

101. sujiiee says:

This looks absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to try it for a quick snack later

102. Alecx says:

Reblogged this on Elev in Romania and commented:
    Yiu have to try this…

103. Leanne says:

I so know what you mean. I’m a Melbourne girl, and not long home from an 18 month stint on Long Island. I’m still reveling in the re-found glory of the great melbourne cafe brekkie. Next time you come home, try Ora in Kew. Your homesick toast, fresh with mint, looked like it was from their menu. And as for the coffee???

104. omeletta says:

Delicious!! I loove avocados, and the addition of mint and citrus would be so tasty, I bet, so I’ll definitely be trying this one. And isn’t that helpful hint about avocado ripeness from the Kitchn a lifesaver? It basically changed my life. Not even exaggerating a little bit :)

105. Reblogged this on A Year of Breakfasts and commented:
    Can’t wait to try this myself!

Thanks so much for reblogging. Hope you enjoy.

106. I love Avocado on toast! I’ve converted my American in-laws to this divine breakfast too… Doing my bit to spread the goodness :)

I haven’t tried it with mint / citrus so will give that a go, thanks.

107. This looks delicious! As far as that sort of taste is from what I call home, I would only have to rename it, and love it as breakfast just the same!

108. comicsagogo says:

I just started eating avocados on toasted sandwiches regularly and love them. The idea of adding goat cheese and lime sounds divine. I’ll give it a go.Thanks for the recipe.

109. This recipe has just rocked our world. :) Boring breakfast, goodbye!

110. Sunnyace says:

Reblogged this on Sunnyace Reblog Collections and commented:
    Wow… I’m speechless.

111. Sunnyace says:

Reblogged this on Sunnyace Reblog Collections and commented:
    Wow… Nice….

112. www.macuisineetvous.com says:

simply nice reipe
    Thanks
    Chantal

113. sdl2012 says:

Reblogged this on Food Fighters and commented:
    some more avocado tips …

114. I love avocados on toast with a little salt. I grew up eating that where I grew up in Congo (then Zaire) and now that is what I eat when I get homesick too.

115. Eleanor Lee says:

This looks so delicious, love avocado!

116. Looks so good, I’m going to make it tomorrow. Thanks, and congratulations on being featured on Freshly Pressed.

117. i make this a lot too! great photos and instructions – well done! love it.

118. Peggy Saas says:

Just wonderful Amelia! I made this today for myself and my teenage nephew, we were drooling over it as we were eating it. Delicious! Thank you for sharing. (I came across it via Groo New York on FB.)

Would you mind if I posted pics of my version of your creation on my blog with full credit to you? It’d be an injustice NOT to share.

Hi Peggy. So glad you and your nephew enjoyed it! I look forward to seeing your photos on your blog :)

119. Dori moulton says:

Looks yum. Great photos.love the crinkly paper background .

120. Lily says:

Avocado on toast is one of the best things that I discovered while studying in Australia – I cannot believe that it is not more popular in the US! It’s also pretty amazing on a warm bagel – maybe you can fuse the morning traditions?

121. I absolutely love this recipe with the goat cheese, citrus, and herbs. When I was living in Barcelona, we made a hearty multi-grain toast with avocado, queso fresco (from a dairy farm open from 1036), chili powder, and Spanish olive oil–seriously the best piece of heaven I could get. I look forward to biting into this toastie with goat cheese!

122. I reckon I love you. Too much? How about this – I love love this simple, easy, recipe. Although a good bagel warms my soul, this may come in a quick second!

123. Reblogging this and linking back to you! Anything with avocado and I’m in : ) Such a great easy and fast recipe!

124. Pingback: Tailgate Season «
  125. I don’t eat bread but I MUST try this recipe! Maybe on crackers! Please check out my Nutrition blog at blogfoodforthought.com ! :)

126. MK says:

I found your blog via pinterest. I had to make this as I love avocado and goat cheese. I just made this for lunch and it is so good. Thank you for sharing your homesick toast.

127. Victoria says:

Yum!! This is perfect for breakfast or lunch….although, I just made it for dinner. Made on rye bread….so good and healthy!

128. Lucy says:

This is one of my favorite quick and easy lunches! I never used mint (it’s not an ingredient I ever have on hand) but I always use full lime’s worth of juice. Yum! Thanks!

129. Jacki says:

This looks absolutely delicious! Avocado, toast and feta? My mouth waters thinking about it. I plan to make some soon using feta and include it in my “52 Bites” blog series, crediting you for the recipe of course :)

130. Linda says:

Oh my goodness…too creamy good for words!!

131. Lynn says:

Wow! I just made this and it is absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

132. Oh wow, this beats a bagel any day for me!

133. Nan says:

Would you mind if I posted your recipe on my blog? Of course I will provide links back to you, it’s just too good not to share with my readers! I’ve been eating it almost every morning for the last two weeks! And I’m not even homesick! Thanks!

Of course Nan! So pleased you like it.

134. Too good! Thanks for the recipe!

You’re welcome!

135. Pingback: 15 Avocado Recipes
  136. laurasmess says:

I’m very late to the party in reading this post, but I absolutely understand your definition of homesick toast! I make this very same combination (in fact, I recognised the Meredith Dairy cheese in the first picture!) and it’s dear to my heart. Glad you can get your fave cheese where you are. Little things like that can be quite therapeutic when you’re experiencing homesickness. Thanks for sharing this xxx